version for downloading/printing (recent comments omited)
28 & 29 October 2000
Village Hall, Braceborough, Nr Stamford, Lincolnshire.
To draw up a list of Recommendations to present to the IVFDF 2001 Representatives
Meeting with respect to the future of IVFDF in both the short and long term.
By the end of the meeting we should be able to (Meeting Outcome Recommendations
included in-line; Comments in blue from Ian Thompson
- Recommend the extent of the 'Varsity' link e.g.:
- run by students / ex-students
- run for students
- run at a university
- purely historical
Recommend the nature of IVFDF in comparison with other
UK folk / dance festivals e.g.:
- Recommend IVFDF should continue to facilitate student involvement.
- Recommend student involvement in organising committee, but should
change the constitution to allow hosting by a non-university group if a
good bid is put forward.
- Recommend putting together a number of criteria which could be
used to assess bids.
- to what extent should there be non-dance events
- how commercial
Recommend how location is determined
- Recommend that, as at present, organisers strive to ensure that
- Facilitates student participation;
- Not commercially driven;
- Dance focused;
- New festival each year, early in the year.
Recommend how long IVFDF should last e.g.
- Recommend that all student folk dance societies are reminded
each year by Information Point of the need to look forward and that bids
to host the festival will be sought at the next IVFDF.
- Recommend that this reminder takes the form of an invitation
to bid in October. If by January there are no bids, then Information Point
should start using the network of interested parties (website, email list)
to start twisting arms, preferably with a view to moving IVFDF to an area
of the UK where it has not been for some time and there is a realistic
possibility of holding a successful event.
- Both Outstanding
- Recommend encouraging conditional bids.
- Do not recommend IVFDF moves to a fixed venue, however, Information
Point should investigate options for a small number of venues round the
country so that if need to move to a rota system or twisting arms fails,
there is some sort of fall back option.
- Affirm that the Representatives Meeting must have the final
say on where IVFDF is located.
- should IVFDF be a weekend
- has IVFDF outlasted its role - should it be wound up
Recommend the type of structure / content within the
- Recommend that IVFDF should be held as a weekend festival. However,
the Representatives meeting should sanction a one day festival if circumstances
require or circumstances lead it to be desirable.
- the number / balance of workshops
- involvement of Morris / Sword / Molly etc sides and display groups
Recommend what changes, if any, should be made to the
organisational structure of IVFDF.
- Recommend that one of the stops on the Morris tour should be the
demonstration ceilidh if that is logistically possible.
- Recommend that decisions on content and conditions should be at
the discretion of the organising committee.
- Recommend creation of a 'hints and issues' document to provide
advice to organising committees.
- Partially Outstanding
- Recommend holding the Representatives Meeting on Saturday not
- Recommend that Representatives meetings should be more forward
looking rather than considering what has / has not worked with current
- Mostly achived
- Recommend Representatives Meeting to have more of a role in
checking milestones and budget for next year's IVFDF
- Recommend that a list of Advisors (mentoring role) be created
and that each organising committee should make a formal link with at least
one person on that list.
- Recommend creation of a support pack of information risk
strategy, issues to address / consider, useful contacts etc, as advice
to Organising committees.
- Recommend further development of an IVFDF email list & website
- Recommend creation of Friends of IVFDF group. ( a small group
is to work up a more detailed proposal (including consideration of Representatives
Meeting representation for the Friends group) before the Cambridge 2001
Representatives Meeting (Nora Mogey, James Williams, Brian Kingett, Ann
Parker, Pete Humble)
- Affirm RM as sovereign body for IVFDF - ultimate veto on anything
to do with the festival.
for downloading/printing (recent comments omited)