Constitution of the Inter Varsity Folk Dance Festival
- The Inter Varsity Folk Dance Festival (referred to hereafter
- Control shall be vested in a committee of at least three
persons (Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer) appointed or elected
from the group bidding to host the Festival, such appointment
or election to take place as soon as possible after approval
of a bid by a quorate and properly constituted Representative's
- Only one committee shall be responsible for the Festival
in any particular year. It shall be the responsibility of
that committee to maintain communication with every other
active IVFDF committee. The responsibility of that committee
shall cease with the transference of funds and of all relevant
records and papers of the Festival to Information Point,
which shall happen was soon as reasonably possible after
the end of the Festival organised by that committee.
- The Festival site for a particular year will be chosen
by the Representatives Meeting (referred to hereafter as
RM) two years in advance, this choice to be considered as
a strong recommendation, and confirmed if thought fit by
the RM one year in advance.
- Shall conduct meetings of the committee.
- Shall conduct RMs where he shall report on the progress
of the Festival.
- Shall call meetings of the committee.
- Shall keep minutes of the meetings of the committee.
- Shall keep minutes of the RMs.
- Shall be responsible for all correspondence and records
of the IVFDF committee.
- Shall compile a list of Member Societies attending
- Shall keep detailed records of all monetary transactions
undertaken in the name of IVFDF.
- Shall open such accounts as are required by the committee.
- Shall report at the RMs on the financial situation
The IVFDF committee meeting shall require at least
two of the officers given in (1) above to be present.
The IVFDF committee meeting shall require a quorum
of at least two-thirds of the committee members.
All cheques (or similar) drawn on IVFDF funds shall
require the signatures of one of the officers in section
3 plus any one other committee member drawn from a
group so empowered by the IVFDF committee.
In the event of a drawn vote of any committee meeting
the chairman shall have an additional casting vote.
- A Member Society of IVFDF shall be any folk dance group
which is recognised and supported by a British University.
Folk dance groups from other institutes of higher education
may be admitted to the current IVFDF at the discretion of
the IVFDF committee.
- At each Festival there shall be a meeting to which each
participating society may send two representatives who are
each entitled to one vote. Others may attend at the discretion
of the Chairman but without voting rights. The IVFDF Information
Point shall have a right of attendance. The meeting shall
- Decide on future venue(s) of IVFDF.
- Discuss the effectiveness of the current Festival.
- Examine the budget and planning of the nominated next
- Confirm, subject a (simple majority) agreement that
the items examined in 5.1.3 are satisfactory, the nominated
- Be in general responsible for the good order and name
Any five Member Societies of IVFDF may call a full RM
(Information Point to be informed) at one month's notice
at the University hosting the current Festival, the costs
to be borne by the societies whose representatives attend.
Eight Member Societies shall constitute a quorum at any
The IVFDF committee shall hold a Festival during February
and the first two weeks of March to which all member folk
dance societies shall be invited.
The Festival programme shall be the responsibility of
the IVFDF committee.
The IVFDF committee may also invite other persons and
groups as they see fit.
- All property and assets of each IVFDF committee shall
be vested in the officers given in (3) above, in whose names
all transactions of the Festival shall be carried out. They
shall hold themselves liable, on behalf of the Festival,
for all proceedings undertaken for or against the Festival
in any Court of Law, and shall indemnify themselves against
the assets of the Festival for any liabilities incurred
An Information Point shall be maintained by some person
(not a member of an IVFDF committee) with a permanent
address. This person shall serve for a period of not less
than five years, and their address and telephone number
shall be made known to all Member Societies. Copies of
the following shall be lodged at the Information Point
each year :-
- Mailing List and Attendance List of Member Societies.
- Minutes of RMs.
- If the Festival does not take place in any period of thirteen
consecutive calendar months, it shall be the responsibility
of the Information Point to contact the next designated
IVFDF committee and render such assistance as may be needed
to ensure the survival of the Festival.
- A deposit account will be held at the Information Point.
Transfers of funds between it and the current Festival Bank
Account will be made as appropriate. The object of this
account is to maintain a sufficient balance to refloat the
Festival from scratch. Withdrawals shall require the signature
of any two of the following :-
- The person referred to in (8.1) above.
- One of two persons nominated from a Member Society
for this purpose.
- The Information Point shall have no liability for any
debts of any IVFDF.
- The Information Point may be removed from post by passing
a motion of no confidence at a quorate RM by a two-thirds
majority. At least three months written notice must be given
of a motion of no confidence in the Information Point. Such
a motion shall require signatures from at least five Member
Societies and must be sent to the Information Point and
to all Member Societies who have attended at least one of
the last three Festivals.
- IVFDF shall be an "associated club" of the English
Folk Dance and Song Society, the subscription to be paid
by the IVFDF committee.
If the Festival does not take place in any period of
twenty-five consecutive calendar months, then IVFDF shall
be said to be dissolved, when the following shall be enacted
- All property and assets shall be converted into cash
and lodged in the bank account opened by the last IVFDF
- All debts and liabilities of the Festival shall be
settled immediately with the money accruing from (10.1.1)
- The remaining sum, being credit or debit, shall be
shared equally between all folk dance societies who
attended the last IVFDF.
This document may be altered in whole or in part by the
assenting vote of at least two-thirds of the representatives
present at a properly constituted RM. Proposals for alterations
to this document must be sent in writing, giving at least
three months notice, to the Information Point and to all
Member Societies. Such notice shall be deemed to have
been given if proposals are sent be email to an IVFDF
electronic mailing list set up for that purpose.
Proposals may be made by any single member society.
Proposals which have been properly notified must form
part of the agenda of the next properly constituted RM
that takes place, and the minute shall record decisions
Proposals may be altered in whole or part as a result
of discussion at a RM, but only matters raised with due
notice may be discussed. The RM shall also have the power
to make any other changed to this document which may be
required as a knock-on effect of proposals for alterations.
A copy of this document and every amendment shall be
held by each Member Society of the Festival.
This constitution must work in conjunction with, but
not subject to, any Member Society's individual constitution.
Following amendments made at the RM of IVFDF